Waiting On Wednesday #6

“Waiting On” Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by the fantastic people over at Breaking The Spine that highlights upcoming releases that we are excited about.

For this week my pre-publication selection that I can’t wait for is:

River of Stars by Guy Gavriel Kay

Set For Release On: April, 2013

Summary From Goodreads:

In his critically acclaimed novel Under Heaven, Guy Gavriel Kay told a vivid and powerful story inspired by China’s Tang Dynasty. Now, the international bestselling and multiple award-winning author revisits that invented setting four centuries later with an epic of prideful emperors, battling courtiers, bandits and soldiers, nomadic invasions, and a woman battling in her own way, to find a new place for women in the world – a world inspired this time by the glittering, decadent Song Dynasty.

Ren Daiyan was still just a boy when he took the lives of seven men while guarding an imperial magistrate of Kitai. That moment on a lonely road changed his life—in entirely unexpected ways, sending him into the forests of Kitai among the outlaws. From there he emerges years later—and his life changes again, dramatically, as he circles towards the court and emperor, while war approaches Kitai from the north.

Lin Shan is the daughter of a scholar, his beloved only child. Educated by him in ways young women never are, gifted as a songwriter and calligrapher, she finds herself living a life suspended between two worlds. Her intelligence captivates an emperor—and alienates women at the court. But when her father’s life is endangered by the savage politics of the day, Shan must act in ways no woman ever has.

In an empire divided by bitter factions circling an exquisitely cultured emperor who loves his gardens and his art far more than the burdens of governing, dramatic events on the northern steppe alter the balance of power in the world, leading to events no one could have foretold, under the river of stars.

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————-

I’ll be honest, I’m a sucker when it comes to doing a twist on parts of history and this is no exception. The Song Dynasty? Yes please! A young woman having to overcome obstacles and battle the powers that be? Tell me more! This sounds fascinating to me and I can’t wait for April so that I can read it! ^.^

Does River of Stars sound appealing to you? What book are you “Waiting On”? Let me know in the comments and/or leave a link to your own WoW post and I will make sure to stop by! Thanks for checking out my Waiting On Wednesday! :)

This entry was posted in Waiting On Wednesday and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

47 Responses to Waiting On Wednesday #6

1. Cecilia @ rather barefoot than bookless says:

Sounds like an interesting book! Thanks for sharing!
    My wow

2. I like twists on history too. This sounds really unique!
    My WOW

3. I like alternate history genre. I don’t know how I did not spot this one before. Thanks for featuring it. :)

Dragana @ Bookworm Dreams
    Check out what I am waiting for this Wednesday…

4. Yeah, it sounds amazing! I still haven’t read Under Heaven, hopefully I’ll finally read it soon :) and this one when it will be published, too! Great WoW!

5. Ooh what a gorgeous cover! Thanks for sharing this one – it looks amazing.

6. Jessica@a GREAT read says:

OOh interesting! This one is new to me!

Here’s my WoW

Have a GREAT day!

Old Follower :)

7. Crystal says:

Wow thanks for sharing this one, it sounds amazing! Love the cover =)

Thanks for stopping by Our WoW for the week =)

8. This sounds really interesting! Thanks for sharing! :)

Thanks for stopping by my post!

~Sara @ Forever 17 Books

9. LS Murphy says:

This sounds great. I love the concept and cover.

10. Emma Gray says:

Oooooo, this looks very different from what I usually read! But I’m always looking for new branches to take in books! 😀 I like the cover of it though!

Thanks for visiting my WoW

11. Heather Wood says:

Thanks for stopping by my WoW! That cover is amazing!

12. Aseel Naji says:

I haven’t heard of this one before,so thanks for sharing and visiting my blog!

13. Interesting pick! I love asian-inspired stories, I might have to put this one on my list. Thanks for stopping by my WoW by the way :)

14. Cheles Bells says:

Wow! This does sound great! I love the cover, too! Thanks so much for stopping by my WoW – Happy Reading :)

15. I binge on books like these sometimes. Oriental based stories are always intriguing and very unique.

Thanks for stopping by our WoW!

16. This is a new one for me I haven’t seen this one around before and I love the cover. Thanks for sharing!

17. Cathy @ Addicted to Books says:

that’s a really interesting cover. thanks for stopping by today

18. Ow wow, this sounds incredible! I hadn’t heard of it until now. I love the cover too. Brilliant pick! :)

19. sqt says:

I’ve got a couple of Guy Gavriel Kay titles lying around and I’ve been meaning to read them forever. Looks like I have another one to add to the list. Thanks for stopping by!

20. This one is not for me but I hope you enjoy reading it. Nice pick!
    Come check out my WOW post.

21. Carmen B. says:

This sounds interesting indeed! I’ve never heard of the book or the author before. I like how both characters are caught in-between two warring worlds. Thanks for pointing it out to me, and for stopping by my blog earlier :)

22. This sounds epic. I do love a good twist on history ! Awesome pick

23. As a Chinese person myself, I feel an obligation to try this one out. It does seem really fascinating. Thanks for sharing!

24. Great pick! I haven’t heard of this one yet but it sounds really interesting. Definitely will check it out!
    Thanks for visiting my post!

25. Megan Nicole says:

After reading that description this book definitely has my attention! Thanks for sharing! :-)

26. Inky says:

Wow! Interesting pick! I haven’t heard of this one. The cover looks really interesting. Great pick!
    Stop by MY WOW?
    <3 Inky@ Book Haven Extraordinaire

27. It does sound pretty cool! One of the best aspects I love about book is the potential they have to let us learn about other cultures. Though this sounds like fiction, I’m sure some of the author’s research is still shining through.

28. Sounds interesting. It’s new to me but definitely one I’d enjoy.

29. Twists in history, retelling and whatnot are always attention-grabbing. This is pretty cool.

Thanks for sharing! :)

Janus @ The Blair Book Project

30. Oooh – I’ll have to check out Under Heaven before picking up this one!

– Jessica @ Book Sake

31. Thanks for stopping by my WoW. I’ve never heard of this one before!

Sandy @ Somewhere Only We Know

32. Christina T says:

This sounds fantastic! I haven’t read any of his books but I will be adding River of Stars to my TBR list.

33. Megan K. says:

I’ve never heard of this book before, but it sure sounds interesting! I’m a sucker for historical books with twists, too, just as long as they’re good. 😉

Thanks for sharing!

34. Cassie says:

I haven’t heard of this one, but it sounds interesting.

Thanks for stopping by my blog earlier, returning some of the love <3.

35. Nice pick. This looks very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

36. Haven’t heard of this one before. I hope you enjoy it when you read it! Thanks for stopping by.

37. Sounds interesting. But I don’t think it my type of read.
    I hope you enjoy this one, though.
    Thanks for droppin by my WoW!

Michelle Shouts Random

38. Beczy says:

There are so many books I’m adding to my TBR list this week… Why must they all sound so good?

Thanks for stopping by my WOW 😀

39. I’ve heard good things about Charles De Lint! He’s on my list, but I’m planning to start with one of his older books. :) Hope this rocks. It’s awesome that it’s set in the Song Dynasty; I haven’t encountered many books in that era.

40. Lizzy says:

I haven’t read Under Heaven, but this one sounds like I’d enjoy it…I’ll have to check that one out, too. Thanks for stopping by my blog

41. Sabina says:

This looks interesting, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for stopping by my WoW

Sabina @ Delirious About Books

42. Myra White says:

I love these sorts of books, putting a twist on history! Thank you for sharing, I don’t think I would’ve come across this book otherwise!

Thanks for stopping by my WoW. :)

43. Boohoo me why i dont read those kind of books?I feel bad i dont even know which genre this belong too :(

Here is Mine